Software Engineer - Product Data
Lyst is a technology platform that helps fashion lovers find the right item, in the right size at the right price. We connect millions of consumers globally with millions of products from the world’s leading fashion designers and stores, giving them a simpler, more engaging and better buying experience.
At Lyst we work in small, self-managing, autonomous teams with end-to-end responsibility for a specific customer-focused project. This structure brings together Lysters from all the disciplines that are needed to deliver the squad’s goals. We reward these squads for the Impact they make and value the innovative approaches that autonomy and alignment can bring. We hire great people and get out of their way.
As a member of the Product Data Squad you will be part of our Supply Tribe whose mission is to acquire relevant and accurate assortment at the right size and right price, whilst developing and monetising partners positively and profitably.
Data lies at the heart of everything we do here at Lyst, from understanding our users better to making mission critical decisions - we currently have around 15 million products on the site and it’s up to the Product Data Squad to ingest and provide fresh and accurate product data to drive sales.
This cross-functional team of Product and Engineering ensure our Product Data is accurate and updated in a timely fashion, providing visibility of our ingestion pipeline to ensure we catch errors or provisioning issues as soon as possible.
You can view some information on our microservices at our developers blog here: https://making.lyst.com/2017/01/13/microservices/
As a Software Engineer on Product Data you will be working on the data ingestion pipeline, responsible for gathering up-to-date product data across the catalogs of hundreds of retailers.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Developing microservices that make up the pipeline used to gather product data from retailers
- Developing the API that provides other squads with access to product data
- The squad is responsible for operating the services it owns. As such a proportion of your time will be dedicated to DevOps, this will include things such as thinking about monitoring/alerting and looking into operational issues
Currently all of the squads services are written in Python. The technologies you use will vary over time, but currently some key things we use include DynamoDB, Amazon SQS, Docker and Elasticsearch.
We have a well-defined career ladder within Engineering which is based on meritocratic principles so you can be sure of future advancement based on our four pillars: Technical Skill, Getting Stuff Done, Impact and Leadership.
- Private Healthcare by Vitality - your health is important to us which is why we offer all employees a comprehensive healthcare scheme.
- Eyecare – Discounted eye tests and glasses.
- Company pension - up to 3% matching.
- The Lyst Clothing Benefit. We're a fashion company so we'll give you £250 to spend on the site in Year 1, £500 in Year 2, £750 in Year 3 and £1000 from Year 4 onwards. You're going to look fantastic!
- Holidays - It's important you take time off! You get 22 days throughout the year to take a well earned rest. In addition, you get 8 public bank holidays and 7 additional days when the office is closed over Christmas, so a total of 29 days & bank holidays.
- Regular yoga classes, 5 a-side football and netball teams to encourage a healthy work / life balance.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Childcare vouchers.
- Season ticket loans.
- Your conference tickets are paid for - we’re big on learning and development and encourage everyone to attend events. In fact we go further and all Lysters get $1500 to spend on courses and training.
- Team meet ups twice a month to share some of the interesting things we’re working on internally and externally.
- Social events - from table-top games to climbing, movie nights to triathlons, you’ll find a group of people always keen to get involved.