Senior DevOps Engineer
Lyst are hiring a Senior DevOps Engineer to maintain, support and continue the build of our platform architecture, ensuring that everything we do is super reliable, highly secure and super fast, all the time.
At the heart of Lyst is a huge data aggregator that lists millions of fashion products from hundreds of retailers. On top of this we build systems that help people discover and follow their favourite fashion brands, ensuring that all of our users are inspired and happy throughout their shopping experience.
Your primary function in this role will be to make our architecture more scalable, secure and stable. You will support our engineering team, ensuring that the DevOps Culture we have built here continues to make developers lives easier so they can focus on creating and deploying cool features.
Here at Lyst our engineers take pride in our continuous integration environment with TDD always at front of mind.
It mainly involves taking care of our architecture and keeping data safe.
As a site reliability engineer at Lyst you will be working on:
- Maintaining and supporting all areas of our platforms architecture, ensuring that everything we do is super reliable and super fast, all the time.
- Enabling the Lyst’s engineering team to be agile and to make feature changes every day.
- Supporting a continuous integration environment and production deployment run entirely in Docker.
- An internal PaaS implementation.
- Custom Chef configuration.
- An entirely AWS-based environment, using multiple AWS services alongside EC2.
- Creating a development platform, tools and pipeline that is effective and easy to iterate with.
- The huge challenges that come from working with a website with over 2 million monthly users, 9 million products and a spider architecture performing 3.8 million updates a day.
- Fixing the interesting problems we face in the best way possible; we are not constricted to tool sets and languages. If you find a solution to a problem that will work better, we use your idea. Best idea wins.
- Building your own brand and skills. Lyst is a company that will encourage and support you to get involved in the wider community. Events like FOSDEM, PyCon, JS London and AWS re:Invent are regular occurrences on our calendar.
- Creating better solutions for everything we do, from our culture to the code. This is your company, own it.
- The monitoring of performance metrics such as response and error rates on the Lyst platform.
- Proposing and implementing performance improvements, anything from one-line fixes to re-architecting a component into a microservice.
- Capacity planning for new features, and ensuring they’re written with scalability in mind.
- Evaluating supporting services for new features, would PostgreSQL perform better than Cassandra? Is a custom solution a better fit than using ElasticSearch?
We’re looking for the best engineers who are excited to support Lyst growth and interested in working on the huge challenges we are facing. If the above resonates and you would like to strongly influence the direction of our products and our culture. We'd love to learn more about you and find out if we can work together.
What you'll be using here:
You get 22 days throughout the year to take a well earned rest. In addition, you get 8 public bank holidays and 7 additional days over Christmas, so a total of 29 days + bank holidays!
Engineering team meet ups twice a month to share some of the interesting things they’re working on internally and externally.
Your conference tickets are paid for - we’re big on learning and development and encourage engineers to attend events.
Learning and Development - From Python to SEO, internal subject matter experts run classes designed to get you up to speed. Each team also has a training budget to help cover any external courses.
A clothing allowance - we’re a fashion company and you’ll get an allowance to spend on goodies from Lyst
Social events - from table-top games to climbing, movie nights to triathlons, you’ll find a group of people always keen to get involved
Health and Wellness is also important to us and we put on regular yoga classes, have football and netball teams and encourage a healthy work / life balance.
Pension; up to 3% matched contribution.