Site Reliability Engineer
Lyst is a technology platform that helps fashion lovers find the right item, in the right size at the right price. We connect millions of consumers globally with millions of products from the world’s leading fashion designers and stores, giving them a simpler, more engaging and better buying experience.
At Lyst we work in small, self-managing, autonomous teams with end-to-end responsibility for a specific customer-focused project. This structure brings together Lysters from all the disciplines that are needed to deliver the squad’s goals. We reward these squads for the Impact they make and value the innovative approaches that autonomy and alignment can bring. We hire great people and get out of their way.
We are hiring a Site Reliability Engineer to maintain, support and continue the build of our platform architecture, ensuring that everything we do is reliable, highly secure and super fast, all the time. You will be joining the Infrastructure Tribe, whose mission is to improve the infrastructure at Lyst in order to reduce downtime and enable other engineering squads across the company to efficiently deliver, monitor and react on product releases.
Here at Lyst our engineers take pride in our continuous integration environment with TDD always at front of mind, working in an entirely AWS-based environment, using multiple AWS services alongside EC2.
- Maintaining and supporting all areas of our platforms architecture, ensuring that everything we do is super reliable and super fast, all the time.
- Enabling the Lyst’s engineering team to be agile and to make feature changes every day.
- Supporting a continuous integration environment and production deployment run entirely in Docker.
- Helping with the internal PaaS implementation and Custom Chef configuration.
- Creating a development platform, tools and pipeline that is effective and easy to iterate with.
- The huge challenges that come from working with a website with over 2 million monthly users, 9 million products and a spider architecture performing 3.8 million updates a day.
- Fixing the interesting problems we face in the best way possible; we are not constricted to tool sets and languages. If you find a solution to a problem that will work better, we use your idea. Best idea wins.
- Building your own brand and skills. Lyst is a company that will encourage and support you to get involved in the wider community. Events like FOSDEM, PyCon, JS London and AWS re:Invent are regular occurrences on our calendar.
- Creating better solutions for everything we do, from our culture to the code. This is your company, own it.
- The monitoring of performance metrics such as response and error rates on the Lyst platform.
- Proposing and implementing performance improvements, anything from one-line fixes to re-architecting a component into a microservice.
- Capacity planning for new features, and ensuring they’re written with scalability in mind.
- Evaluating supporting services for new features, would PostgreSQL perform better than Cassandra? Is a custom solution a better fit than using ElasticSearch?
We’re looking for the best engineers who are excited to support Lyst growth and interested in working on the huge challenges we are facing. If the above resonates and you would like to strongly influence the direction of our products and our culture. We'd love to learn more about you and find out if we can work together.
What you'll be using here:
- Private Healthcare by Vitality - your health is important to us which is why we offer all employees a comprehensive healthcare scheme.
- Eyecare – Discounted eye tests and glasses.
- Company pension - up to 3% matching.
- The Lyst Clothing Benefit. We're a fashion company so we'll give you £250 to spend on the site in Year 1, £500 in Year 2, £750 in Year 3 and £1000 from Year 4 onwards. You're going to look fantastic!
- Holidays - It's important you take time off! You get 22 days throughout the year to take a well earned rest. In addition, you get 8 public bank holidays and 7 additional days when the office is closed over Christmas, so a total of 29 days & bank holidays.
- Regular yoga classes, 5 a-side football and netball teams to encourage a healthy work / life balance.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Childcare vouchers.
- Season ticket loans.
- Your conference tickets are paid for - we’re big on learning and development and encourage everyone to attend events. In fact we go further and all Lysters get $1500 to spend on courses and training.
- Team meet ups twice a month to share some of the interesting things we’re working on internally and externally.
- Social events - from table-top games to climbing, movie nights to triathlons, you’ll find a group of people always keen to get involved.